Aly's Newsletter: Hump Day Edition!
It's December! Happy mid-way point of Hanukkah! It's also officially my birthday month (my birthday isn't until the week before Christmas though), which means that my cooking posts may soon look a lot more cocktail-centric.
Speaking of celebrations, check out these adorable photos from Scarlette's birthday party last night. She turned 14! Can you believe it? She still looks like such a pupster!!!
(Her "cake" is a meatloaf with mashed potatoes and mixed veggies. Her and Lily love it and they have a version of it often on birthdays!)
Yesterday, I was working on a quick turnaround food deals story -- I was assigned it in the morning, wrote it in the morning, and it was published in the afternoon. I posted in my newsletter leads that was exactly what was going to happen. However, the most interesting thing happened. Aside from the usual foible of getting DMs and texts pitching me for this story (when I did ask to. keep it to email), I also got a few PHONE CALLS pitching me for the story - including hours after it had wrapped up. So, please, in case I wasn't clear -- when I say emails only, and not to text or DM, I am also mean, please do no call me. And, when I say a deadline, I'm not kidding!
Here's what I'm working on today:
1. For AllRecipes, I am working on a roundup of the best hot food containers to take on a snow day. I’m thinking items that are meant for keeping food warm, or at least not ice cold, so mainly insulated or Thermos styles. Related: The bedroom comfort/tips story for AllRecipes has been wrapped up. No more pitches for that one, please!
2. For RetailMeNot, the gifts for pets story is wrapped up. However, still taking pitches for the Galentine's gifts for your besties story! Please keep this to major retailers and make sure the items you are pitching are currently in stock (you wouldn't believe how often I read a pitch, click a link, and it says the item is sold out or discontinued!)
3. For SPY.com, the gifts for writers story is wrapped up. Still taking pitches though for best blue light glasses, best gift baskets for men, and best cookware sets.
4. For The Kitchn, I'm working on a year-end roundup of the best things TIkTok taught us in 2021. Obviously food/kitchen centric. While I'm not looking for pitches or commentary for this, totally open to people sharing what their personal opinions are! I have my own, obviously!
5. For Forbes.com, this week I'm working on a roundup of the best dessert cocktails at restaurants. This could be stuff like boozy coffee or spiked hot cocoa, but also a great spin on, say, a chocolate martini. I'm very open though. If you have one to pitch me, please send me - name of restaurant, city/state it's located (hotel restaurants/bars are fine too), a description of the drink, a quote from the bartender about why it's a great dessert cocktail, and an image of the drink. I'd love all pitches for this by Friday please!
As a reminder, please email email@example.com for all pitches. Save it in your contacts if you don't have it. And start a new thread mentioning the outlet and the particular assignment. This not only helps me sort through many, many (more than you can imagine) emails, but helps make sure your email is seen. It helps us all!
Here's what has published since yesterday:
These High-Protein Soups Will Give You Lasting Energy
Where to score free cookies and discounts on National Cookie Day
I was so excited to be able to get back to cooking after being so busy for the last few weeks that dinner often involved whatever I could quickly reheat or throw in the air fryer. Last night, I made a steak and veggie stir fry on my Instagram stories, check it out before it expires!
Tonight, I will be making a stuffed poblano in my air fryer - one of my favorite meals (and deceptively quick and easy)! Hope you can join me and cook along!
Have a great day!