Aly's Newsletter: Thursday Edition
Lots of new stories, and some updates.
I've been doing a good amount of virtual consulting drop-ins the last few weeks, where I pop into a PR agency's team meeting on Zoom and answer their questions about various media matters.
It's been so fun and very educational - on my end and I hope theirs as well (and sometimes I've gotten to make some fun new friends - someone's shih tzu popped into their meeting room last week and stole the show!).
I've noticed, interestingly, that time after time, a lot of the same questions come up -- people want to know my feelings on events (virtual vs. in real life, and if both are concurrently a thing now, as well as trips, and of course, pitching and follow ups -- especially now that we are in the height of holiday season!
So, I am not going to go into all that here all at once, but I'll give a cliff notes version, in case that is helpful (and you can always reach out for more).
1. Yes. I'm attending events and trips and again -- and I'm engaging in these activities both virtually and IRL. I honestly am so excited to feel like I'm authentically participating in the world again, and there’s nothing like a legit in-person connection with another human being. I think though virtual and in-person events both have a place in the current reality and both should be here to stay.
I'm still being super selective about any events/dinners/meetings/trips that involve physically interacting with other people. You have to be! For example, you may recall I went on a weekend trip to LA a few weeks ago for an event - that event required you be vaxxed and also did rapid testing onsite.
I'm also only attending dinners and events here at home in NYC that require people to be vaccinated to attend. However, I am still very much engaging in virtual events as well, and I honestly hope they are here to stay. Some of my closest friends live pretty far away from me - and "meeting them" online for a cooking class or mixology lesson has been incredible and quite a gift during this hard, lonely, isolated past almost-two-years. If you want some of my thoughts on how to navigate the weird murky slope of events/trips and such in this era, happy to talk!
2. Pitching and follow ups. This topic is way too long and complicated to do a quick and dirty version so let me just give you some greatest hits - pitches are always welcome. If they are an email. Please never DM or text me a pitch or a follow up. Email me any time, I’m never not on my email. But DM and text pitches are not OK. Even if you think this rule doesn't apply to you, it does. And no, I can't squeeze your client into a story that was published last week or last month. It doesn't work that way. Once it's done, it's done.
You can't give birth to a baby and then decide you wish he had blue eyes instead of brown and shove him back in for a redo.
Phew. OK. more soon on other hot topics.
Here’s what’s cooking:
Last night’s Instagram stories video was bolognese - and I include my easy hack for how to drain the fat and (hopefully) not compromise the flavor. Visit my instagram stories before 5 pm ET or so today to view the recipe and video before it expires. Tonight’s 6 pm ET Instagram stories video will be…a surprise. Mostly because I haven’t decided what it will be yet. But it will be something!
Here's what I'm working on this weekend:
1. ALL of this week's batch of Spy.com assignments are completed and submitted. I'll have a new list I'll share tomorrow of what I am working on for them in the coming week.
2. Still looking for RDs and nutritionists to comment on a story for Clean Plates on healthy (or healthier) frozen chicken nugget options, as well as how to healthify those we make at home. (Please email me before sending comments, I have a list of questions.)
3. Still looking for restaurant chains doing Veterans Day deals (freebies, BOGOs, discounts) for Today.com
4. Looking for fabulous ugly Christmas sweaters for RetailMeNot
Reminder: Please start a new email thread and email firstname.lastname@example.org to respond to any of these (or any ever) story leads.
Here's what's been published or updated in the last day:
Kraft Has a New Mac & Cheese Club and You Can Be the First to Taste New Flavors
Merriam-Webster's The Usage
8 All Natural Sleep Aids To Help You Fall Asleep Fast (& Stay Asleep All Night!)
How To Regain The Upper Hand In Your Relationship
7 Butt-Strengthening Sex Positions That Will Give You A Tighter Behind
I'll be in Boston this weekend doing some (obviously very fun) research for future food and travel content. We have a pretty full schedule lined up, too. Be sure to follow along on my Instagram to see all we're doing!
have a great day!